MANBIJ, Syria – Syrian Kurds have called on Syrian government troops to establish control over areas that have been abandoned by their self-defense groups. In response, Syrian government troops entered Manbij and raised the flag.
As reported by the Syrian Army Forces Staff, Syrian government troops entered Manbij and raised the flag in response to appeals from the population.
“Taking into account the obligations of the army and the Armed Forces and, in response to requests from the population of Manbij, the Joint Chiefs of Staff announces that the troops entered Manbij and raised the flag of the Syrian Arab Republic there.”
Earlier, the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) claimed that the Kurds withdrew their forces from all fronts to concentrate them in the area east of the Euphrates River in order to fight ISIS.
“We, the People’s Protection Units of the Syrian Kurds, after withdrawing our troops from Manbij, declare that our forces will be concentrated in the fight against the Daesh [ISIS] on all fronts east of the Euphrates River,” the statement said on the YPG website.
In this connection, the YPG announced that Syrian government troops must take control of areas abandoned by their forces.
“At the same time, we call on the Syrian government troops, who must protect the country and the borders, establish control over the neighborhoods, from where our forces left, in particular, about Manbij, and protect these regions from Turkish invasion,” he emphasized.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said earlier that Ankara is ready to launch an operation in the town of Manbij in Syria against the YPG if the US does not withdraw them from there.
Erdogan later said he had decided to postpone the start of the military operation in Syria after a telephone conversation with US President Donald Trump on December 14 and after which Trump made the decision to withdraw US troops from Syria.