Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia Despite Atrocities in Yemen

0 1,332

German Economy Minister Peter Altmeier has approved the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia after the Arab-led coalition decides to close remittances to countries involved in the Yemen war, local media reported.

“White House lawyers had already warned President Obama that US involvement in the Yemen war could make him complicit in war crimes.” The Left Party says “Germany is complicit in the crime and it is high time for Merkel to keep her word stop all exports of weaponry to states involved in the war in Yemen.

The list of weapons to be marketed by the Germans, to which the online magazine Spiegel had access, features artillery positioning systems for armored vehicles as well as millions of arms exports to the United Arab Emirates and Jordan.

The three countries form a coalition that takes part in the Yemen war, which has lasted three years and cost thousands of lives, in addition to triggering an outbreak of cholera in the Yemeni population.

Saudi Arabia has launched air strikes against Houthi-led Ansarullah resistance at the request of the internationally recognized and Saudi puppet Yemeni government, which has been internationally recognized since March 2015.

- Advertisement -

The situation in Yemen deteriorated further from June this year when Saudi-led forces, led by internationally recognized President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and the Saudi-led coalition, launched an offensive on Al Hudaydah, considered a key city for the entry of humanitarian aid in the country.

This comes as on Sunday at least four people were killed in a Saudi-led coalition attack on a Houthi radio station in the port city of Al Hudaydah.

According to the Al Masirah television station, the attack on the radio station in Al-Marawah district killed three guards and a radio employee.

The Yemeni Media Union promptly denounced the attack as a “war crime” and urged local and international organizations to show solidarity with the victims of the attack and with the radio.

The Saudi-led coalition has promised to compensate civilian victims of attacks in Yemen, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told a news conference on last week.

“They also pledged to compensate the victims of the attacks that tragically killed civilians,” Nauert told reporters.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments