US Army soldiers are examining the region available in Poland for the installation of their new military base, US Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters.
Last week, US President Donald Trump said during a meeting with his Polish counterpart Andrzej Duda that the United States was considering Warsaw’s request to establish a base in the European country. Duda even proposed that the base be called Fort Trump, which eventually generated controversy.
“We are determining […] the capabilities of what is being offered,” said Mattis, adding that it is at the exploratory stage and that no decision has yet been made.
In relation to this, the Polish president offered more than $2 billion for the construction of the military facility.
According to the US Secretary of Defense, US authorities are assessing infrastructure capacity and Poland to meet maintenance requirements, test flights and firing ranges.
In addition, he stated that Washington values the Polish government’s offer, but the United States will consult its regional partners before making a final decision on the issue.
This comes as Prime Minister Michal Dworczyk’s chief of staff told FM radio about this plan.
“It’s too soon to talk about specific places,” said Dworczyk. “One thing can be said: we would like this decision to be taken somewhere on the eastern flank, northeast or eastern Poland.”
At the same time, he insists that the US base should ensure the security of Poland.
“Everyone understands that a decision on the deployment of permanent US bases in Poland would be a very big event, that would significantly affect the security of the entire region and, of course, Poland,” he said.
On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump declared that the US is still evaluating the possibility of establishing a permanent US base in Poland and that Warsaw is ready to pay for it “billions and billions of dollars “.