February 15, 2018 – Fort Russ News – Paul Antonopoulos
CARACAS, Venezuela – Foreign Ministers of Organisation of American States withdrew the invitation to Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to an upcoming summit in Lima on Tuesday.
The invitation was withdrawn over Venezuela’s selection of an early election date amidst a growing political and economic crisis in the country.
“And given the current situation in Venezuela, Peru has decided to express with respect to the invitation to President Nicolas Maduro to the eighth summit of Las americas de Lima that his presence will no longer be welcome in said meeting,” Lucia Cayetana Aljovin, Peruvian Foreign Minister.
Similar comments were also made from Colombian and Canadian officials.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Madura affirmed that he would attend the Summit of the Americas “come rain or shine, by air, land, or sea”, during a press conference in Miraflores presidential palace, Thursday. “You don’t want to see me in Lima? You’re going to see me”, claimed Maduro.
“I will attend the Summit of the Americas with the truth of Simon Bolivar’s and Antonio Jose de Sucre’s homeland. The truth of Venezuela will get there, to the Summit of the Americas. Be sure of that”, he added.
“This letter arrived to Miraflores Palace at 16:00 in the afternoon, from [President of Peru] Pedro Pablo Kuczynski. He invites me to the Summit of the America’s. Reach an agreement. They want to repeat with Venezuela the same mistreatment they gave to our sister Cuba”, he said, while showing the document to the press.
Maduro answered to the Peruvian government’s decision announced earlier in the week, supported by the 12 countries of the Lima Group, of taking away Maduro’s invitation to the Summit in April.