A representative of the Foundation “Places close to memory” Artur Chongala has reported that the wreckage of the Soviet Il-4 has been found in Poland. A twin-engine long-range bomber was shot down in January 1945 during the liberation of Auschwitz by the Red Army. Legends soon arose about what happened to it and to the pilots, but nothing could not be confirmed until now. For 73 years, the plane was at the bottom of a pond nearby.
The owner of the pond informed the foundation about the wreckage. Sufficient fragments for identification were extracted. The remains of the pilots could not be found, but their names are being confirmed with the help of the Russian embassy in Poland.
The fragments of the aircraft will be part of an exhibition at the camp, to be held on January 27, for the occasion of the 73rd anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camp by the Red Army.
The IL-4 was shot down on January 19th by a German column, located 7 km from Auschwitz.
The Auschwitz-Birkenau camp is where fascists are thought to have gassed more than 1 million Jews, as well as tens of thousands of representatives of the Polish intelligentsia and Soviet prisoners of war. The concentration camp complex was fully liberated on January 27, 1945 by the Red Army. Actions for the liberation of the death camp were carried out within the framework of the Vistula-Oder operation.