A US-led multinational inspection team will soon arrive in Ukraine – they will come to “monitor the military and political situation in the central and south-eastern regions of the country, as well as in the Crimea.”
“On November 13, a multinational inspection team will arrive in Ukraine, which will include representatives of Denmark and Canada. The purpose of the visit is to monitor the military and political situation in the central and south-eastern regions of our country, ” said the report of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine.
It is assumed that inspectors will visit military units in the territory of Donetsk and Lugansk. It is reported that the visit of the inspection team will take place in accordance with the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe.
“In addition, included for inspection is the territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, which is evidence of the non-recognition of the US annexation of the peninsula by the Russian Federation,” the Defense Ministry said.
The statement of the Ukrainian military has caused quite a predictable reaction from Russian politicians. For example, Mikhail Sheremet, a State Duma deputy from the Crimea, recommended inspectors from the United States and other countries wishing to inspect the peninsula, “to inspect the moon!” According to him, such statements are simply ridiculous “They (inspectors) can visit the Crimea only as tourists, nothing more,” he said.
According to the member of the Rodina party, director of the Institute of Freedom, Fyodor Biryukov, Kiev is looking for any excuse to drag US specialists to the Crimea.
Should Russia react somehow?
– I don’t even know. It’s all being done in a style of petty provocation, on which the Ministry of Mr. Klimkin survives,” said FORUM publication chief editor, Anatoly Baranov.
According to the Ukrainian military, “this is more evidence of non-recognition of the US annexation of the peninsula.” Do they constantly need confirmation of this?
– They constantly need confirmation that they are being productive at something. And so they constantly “remind” others of this and that – that the US did not recognize the annexation of the Crimea to Russia, that no one recognized the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, that Taiwan is “an integral part of China” and so on.
They do not understand that this puts them in the extremely uncomfortable position of those with whom they want to build relationships. Now, for example, Americans need to somehow fulfill the plan of the inspection trip, but there are no Russian visas for American inspectors, and no one will let them into the Crimea without one. So what should they do? Break through to the Crimea by force? Or pretend that everything is in order – look at the Crimea through binoculars and say that everything is bad there? Idiotic situation, I must say. For which, I hope, they, in the State Department, will say a big thank you personally to Comrade Klimkin.
It is reported that the visit of the inspection team will be in accordance with the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe. What is the purpose of this visit in general?
– I do not know anything about the conventional arms agreement between Europe and Ukraine.” I know about the agreement with Russia, but it seems to me that Russia is not involved in this inspection train. If Ukraine is a dependent territory in relation to the United States, the EU, NATO, then there is nothing strange in that the owners will come to inspect their vassals. No independent state needs inspections from outsiders.
Inspectors should visit the conflict zone in the Donbass. Of course, we are talking about the territory controlled by Ukraine?
– Probably so. As for the territory of the People’s Republic of Donetsk and the People’s Republic of Lugansk, they are independent republics, and they have the right to decide whom they should allow to their facilities. Ukraine does not recognize their independence – well, as in the case with the Crimea, they can try to break through the defense and conduct US inspections by force. Although something tells me that they will not dare.
How is this “circus” profitable to the Americans? In Kiev, it’s clear that inadequate people are in government – but what about the adequacy of American inspectors who agreed to “visit” the Crimea, at Ukraine’s invitation?
– The American “inspection” of the Crimea is nothing more than a gesture that is symbolic for the media and the virtual space, which, of course, is much more flexible than reality. The significance of it is a symbolic “presence” of Americans in Crimea, its political message via media representation, and not in real form,” said Associate Professor of the Higher School of Economics, Pavel Rodkin.
– This whole story is reminiscent of the classic technologies of psychological warfare during the Cold War, since the presence of Americans in the post-Soviet space is in itself an alarming factor for society. On the one hand, these actions are “remote” and safe. They keep the other side in suspense, while creating and maintaining an appropriate information and symbolic backdrop. For the United States, this is a good opportunity to continue pressure on Russia, alternating its “soft” and “hard” politics.
Earlier, Volker stated that he did not plan to visit the DPR and the LPR before the end of the conflict. How useful will this unilateral monitoring be?
– Unilateral political steps, often produced in a sharp and aggressive form – is a “hobby” of American policy. Here we are dealing with the same thing: Americans want to show their strength and that they act without regard to any treaties or protocols, even, in fact, without regard to reality.