Translated by Ollie Richardson for Fort Russ
13th February, 2016
Turkey and Saudi Arabia will conduct a joint ground operation in Syria, if they can develop an appropriate strategy. This was stated by foreign Minister of Turkey Mevlut Cavusoglu in an interview with Yeni Safak.
“If we have a strategy, Turkey and Saudi Arabia can start a ground operation,” said the Minister, stressing that the operation will be directed against the terrorist group “Islamic State” (banned in Russia).
Cavusoglu also said that Saudi Arabia will soon send planes and military personnel to a base in Turkey. The Minister said that the number of units to be sent is still unknown.
In early February, the media reported that Saudi Arabia is ready to send a few thousand soldiers to Syria. Then the sources reported that this can be done in cooperation with Turkey, subject to the approval of the United States.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, earlier on February 13, also admitted that a ground operation may be carried out if Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad “will not comply with his commitments, and if the Iranians and Russians will not force Assad to do what they promised.” While Kerry did not specify against whom such an operation may be sent to.
The official government in Damascus has said it will consider any uncoordinated actions on them as a direct military invasion, and would attack all the parties involved.