December 15, 2016 - Fort Russ News -
RIA Novosti - translated by J. Arnoldski -
Russian President Vladimir Putin believes that the reason for the difficult situation in Syrian Palmyra is the lack of coordination between those fighting the Islamic State.
ISIS terrorists began an offensive on Palmyra on December 10th. The militants have managed to gain a foothold in the city, but Syria successfully evacuated civilians beforehand. The Syrian army has taken up positions on the outskirts of the city.
According to Vladimir Putin, the militants’ attack was possible due to the uncoordinated actions between the US-led coalition, Damascus, and Moscow.
“I’ve already said many times that in order to be effective in the fight against terrorists, we need to join forces,” Putin said at a press conference in Tokyo.
Earlier, the Russian Center for Reconciliation reported that ISIS was able to throw its forces at Palmyra thanks to the “respite” in Raqqa. The opposition groups coordinating their actions with the US and the international coalition ceased active combat operations against the terrorists just before the attack on Palmyra. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has claimed that the radicals arrived in Palmyra thanks to US support. According to him, the terrorists even had new weapons.
“The truth is that a large part of these terrorists came from Raqqa and Deir-ez-zor either with the direct support of the Americans or, in the best case scenario, with the Americans’ knowledge. Turkey, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia have turned a blind eye towards this and allowed this mission to be completed by means of supporting and sponsoring ISIS,” Assad asserted.
Commenting on the situation in Syria, Putin also expressed hope that government troops well build on the success in Aleppo.
“I very much hope that the Syrian army, following its undeniably successful combat operations in Aleppo, will be able to gain a foothold and that civilians will return to normal life,” the Russian president remarked, adding that thousands of Syrian civilians have already been able to return to their homes.
The operation on withdrawing militants from Aleppo began the day before yesterday. According to the reports of the Russian Center for Reconciliation, over 24 hours nine convoys of buses carrying 6,462 people, including 3,000 militants, were evacuated in the direction of Idlib.
The deputy head of the operative department of the Russian General Staff, Lieutenant General Viktor Poznikhir, has reported that the Syrian army has beaten militants out of all the neighborhoods that they previously held. In the abandoned shelters, the military has found a number of photographs and video recordings of atrocities perpetrated and filmed by the terrorists.
Follow us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!