Translated by Ollie Richardson for Fort Russ
1st January, 2016
Sevastopol and the Crimean people have abandoned electricity from Ukraine, which offers a message to the Ukrainian side in the form of blackmail, said the governor of Sevastopol Sergey Menyailo, commenting on the results of the poll on the proposed contract with Kiev.
Crimeans (93.1%) did not agree to a contract with Kiev to supply electricity from the Regions of Ukraine, according to the results of the poll conducted by VTsIOM. At the same time, 94% of respondents said they are ready for minor disruptions in energy supply over the next three to four months, if the contract with the Ukrainian side on the current conditions is not signed.
"A survey conducted by VTsIOM on behalf of Russian President Vladimir Putin, showed the unanimous opinion of Sevastopol and the Crimean people on the issue of consent to the conditions of supply of electric power from Ukraine. The answer of 'No' is unambiguous blackmail" - quoted Menyailo government's press office.
The governor noted that the response by the Hero City (Sevastopol - Ed) confirmed the choice made in 2014 in a referendum.
The Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol became Russian regions following a referendum in March 16, 2014, when more than 90% of the participants voted in favor of secession from the Ukraine and reunification with Russia.
Crimea had been completely de-energized on November 22nd when, due to the undermining of transmission towers, four power lines coming from the territory of Ukraine ceased to work. The peninsula introduced a state of emergency, which persists to the present day since the emergency outage began.
The situation has improved with the launch on the 2nd December of the first line of the energy bridge from the Krasnodar Territory and, on December 15th, the second line increased the capacity to 400 MW. Another two lines, a total of the same capacity, are planned to be finished in the spring, which will make Crimea independent of Ukrainian electricity.