Translated by Ollie Richardson for Fort Russ
30th December, 2015
Correspondents of "KP.ru" learnt of the attempt from the Commander of the special forces "Troy" Vladimir Novikov, who was accompanying the singer and politician.
On Wednesday, 30th of December, the trip of Joseph Kobzona to embattled Lugansk and Donetsk came to its conclusion. Of all the trips (and this was the sixth) he had made prior, this was the most dangerous. However, judge it for yourself - here's a recording of the conversation with the Commander of the detachment of special forces Vladimir Novikov.
- ...Vladimir, we closely watched out, not only for the main character of our journey, but also for your guys. We had the impression that this trip was very difficult - in the sense of security. Is that so?
- Well, from our point of view, it was a series of unexpected situations... But, in principle, why were we there? To solve all these issues.
- Is it possible to say so directly - that an attack was seriously prepared on Joseph Kobzon at this time?
- Yes, definitely.
- Tell me, this was from information that you received in advance, right?
- Of course.
- And from whom?
- This is the latest information. ... obtained from external sources. I can't divulge into it.
- Of course, of course...
Because, you know, in football the team plays. And when you want a result, you play as a whole team.
- Tell me what actions were immediately taken? And what was being prepared?
- It had 5 purposefully created divisions.
- Sabotage and reconnaissance groups - with a clear task.
- It was to destroy Kobzon?
- Yes, that is right, to destroy. The journey was supposed to be, in the eyes of the spies, one way.
- And in this case, what would have happened to those who were near Kobzon - I mean the journalists of "Komsomolskaya Pravda"?
- They could have been lucky, when a tree is chopped, bits of wood fly.
- Tell me, what was... Well, what about the number that previous publications called, about 37 people. Are they part of Troy's work?
Who told you that 37 people were involved?
- Well, if we believe the publications... What was the work being carried out?
- I can only say: what you observed is the tip of the iceberg. The iceberg would have struck those who were targets.
So about the work that was carried out...
- First of all, the route was prepared. Four days of training on the site took place. We already had everything prepared.
But here we are with a delay of about hour after moving into Donbass. And I noticed in the past it took (and this - again - was the sixth trip of Kobzon to Donbass) 15 minutes to check passports. On this occasion more than an hour has passed...
- We had numerous contingency situations that arose before your entry to the territory of Donbass.
- ... And what was the sweep, which, to my knowledge, you conducted?
- Well, just sweeping ...
- This is ... the ambush?
- Well, there were different things, but generally, the situation.
- Contact fight? Or not?
- In this case - contactless.
- Oh, well, all the same - a fight. And how many saboteurs had you destroyed?
- I'll tell you ... no one was engaged...
- Intel - Yes, that's why I said it was non-contact.
- Tell me, our protagonist - did he see anything or feel anything?
- Except where there were two cars in the ditch ... Perhaps, he did not notice. Well you noticed ...
- That is, the car in the ditch - this was part of the operation?
- Why did you notice them? Because they were without the drivers who weren't standing roadside?
- And, perhaps, there may have been explosives? Or am I fantasising?
- What conclusion would you arrive at? Those that you saw - the purpose of the cars was unknown. They are difficult to judge, so to speak. I just know Donbass. It is not the first time here, especially now during wartime. This does not happen: you go on the road and you abandoned the car. This simply did not happen here
- But as Kobzon moved in the Lugansk, Donetsk area - the work you conducted there - what can you say about it. Was it to neutralize things... Or was the scheme and routes changed...
- The scheme and routes were changed.
- Still by car?
- Yes.. And there were a certain few citizens who were rude because we had to protect Joseph Davydovich from possible contact with these citizens.
- Your presence brought them to life?
- Something else maybe?
- Well, three people here were blocked and transferred to law enforcement agencies. We call them spies. One woman and two men.
They gave some information about the location of Kobzon?
- We had suspicions. There were questions that were not answered. And we gave these citizens to law enforcement authorities. And then let the police know about the situation and so on. I had no time for a slow dance, I was exhausted.
- Kobzon periodically grumbled at you and your guys to remove, say, security and so on. But you wouldn't listen to him...
- Why? We obeyed orders.
- I noticed it.
- We listened, and were not disobedient. I had an objective which what was to bring Kobzon home safe - unharmed, without limitation of the activities of the country, avoiding any impacts.
And that's it. The soft option would have cost us.
- Saboteurs came from the Ukrainian side?
- Well, I think so, Yes.
- Why they want to remove Kobzon?
- Well, just imagine, and this is my speculation, I could be wrong... But just imagine if they got Kobzon. God forbid if this happens... What next? It may be imagined that for the country it will be a shock, and really for the whole world. All civilized society knows him not just heard about some group of "Look at me in panties" - but as a master, as a legend of the Russian stage.
- Who gave you the task to protect Kobzon?
- (Long pause) We act on our own initiative.
- Patriotic reasons.
- Well, of course!
- You saved a life...
- Yeah, so what? We did not keep anything from anyone, just about everything went without an issue... we were there to help, not hide. He just arrived - fulfilled the planned program, everything was quiet, peaceful and calm. And he is tired, but happy - and flew back to Moscow.
- Yes, now Joseph Kobzon flew away...
He's alive and well.
- You sighed?
- Of course - we were successful, drank champagne with him. And now I'm relaxed enough to give you an interview...